• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TenFrickens

TenFrickens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

My 2003 Thunderbird Sport I've gotten to know pretty well, and by this, you just know how it normally sounds and functions, and the steering of mine has ceased to to fall into that category. I've put the bike in my garage until I can fix it because I feel unsafe on it. When I go into a turn, even a slow one at a stoplight, I feel that instead of me driving the bike, it's driving me. Usually a bike, at least by instinct is steered all by leaning, but I now feel that when I enter a turn, the bike is steered by the front wheel wanting to turn. This is what makes the bike feel like it's driving me. I don't want the front to turn, but it sure feels like it's turning and not letting me really lean. I have no real clue what would cause this. At the dealership while I was having new tires put on they said the steering column bolt was at the right torque, so it seems nothing is loose there. I've ridden the bike pretty hard, and the chain and sprockets I'm going to change within the month, but the chain has been in bad shape and I've re-tensioned the chain numerous times in the last month of riding. I don't know if something as simple as rear tire alignment could even cause something like this, but those are the only things that have changed lately. So, any discussion or questions on this topic would be very helpful, thanks a bunch.

#2 Shawn

Shawn

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 190 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR
  • Previous Bikes:99 Adventurer, 01 Daytona 955i, 95 Daytona900

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

My old Daytona900 used to be finicky with it's chain, forcing me to learn how to do on-the-spot chain adjustment from the road. Simply put, I'd loosen both peach bolts and let the bike's weight force the rear wheel into alignment.

Find a shop or dealer that would be willing to help guide you through checking your wheels' alignment. If your bike has a centerstand; Haynes says 25-30mm slack at the tightest point on the chain. Loosen axle nut a bit, loosen adjuster locknuts, then turn the adjusters out to tighten the chain or in to loosen the chain. Be sure to turn the adjusters the same amount on each side, verify by noting which line the notch lines up with on the adjuster.

Shawn

#3 TenFrickens

TenFrickens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

Thanks Shawn. I was also forced to do chain adjusting on the road and as my bike doesn't have a centerstand, I had to do it all from the sidestand. I think all went fairly well considering, following the notches and all. I had the bike wintered at a dealership and didn't notice the steering problem before it went it, just that the chain and sprockets were in quite bad shape.

#4 Grumpy

Grumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSaltcoats, S.W. Scotland
  • Previous Bikes:Honda ST1100 Pan European
    Honda Hornet CB600FW
    Kawasaki GPZ 500

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:31 PM

Thanks Shawn. I was also forced to do chain adjusting on the road and as my bike doesn't have a centerstand, I had to do it all from the sidestand. I think all went fairly well considering, following the notches and all. I had the bike wintered at a dealership and didn't notice the steering problem before it went it, just that the chain and sprockets were in quite bad shape.

Hi mate , when I first got my Sprint Sport I suffered the same sort of problem. At that time it was shod with Dunlop tyres ( quite a hard compound ) and it wanted to follow the white painted lines and pot-holes. I blamed the tyres and changed to Conti Road Attacks, and what a transformation, however it still wasn`t right so it was back to basics and out with the Haynes manual and reset all of the suspension settings. Now I point it and it goes where I want.

Make sure you set both front fork settings the same and then balance the rear suspension to the front.

Hope this helps Yours Aye,

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users