2 replies to this topic

#1 dneuhaus

dneuhaus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

Hey there,

hope someone can help me out. I have a 73 Triumph Tiger 750. I was driving totally fine in the city for months and I took it on the highway, drove very well, then about 20 minutes at 100kmh it just died!
I pulled in the clutch to roll onto the shoulder and geared down to second gear and let go of the clutch to try to fire it back up, nothing. it turns over fine.
I kicked and kicked.

spark plugs were not black and not too light a brown, and weren't wet so I dont think it was flooded or anything.
Battery was at 12.55 volts, but corroded on BOTH terminals AND at the fuse...i disconnected it all and cleaned the contacts...still nothing.
had to tow it home, it sat for a few days but still won't start...not even hesitate to start. but the compression sounds good, it turns over.

when I prime it, fuels spills out momentarilly...

could it be fuel starvation? carb problem? what kind of problem could this be? why would the terminals be corroded.

#2 Shawn

Shawn

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 189 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR
  • Previous Bikes:99 Adventurer, 01 Daytona 955i, 95 Daytona900

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

I'll admit that stumps me. There are some places on the web that specialize in Meriden bikes. Share the solution here when you get it running again.

Shawn

#3 bobc

bobc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Motorcycle:triumph bonneville

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

Hey there,

hope someone can help me out. I have a 73 Triumph Tiger 750. I was driving totally fine in the city for months and I took it on the highway, drove very well, then about 20 minutes at 100kmh it just died!
I pulled in the clutch to roll onto the shoulder and geared down to second gear and let go of the clutch to try to fire it back up, nothing. it turns over fine.
I kicked and kicked.

spark plugs were not black and not too light a brown, and weren't wet so I dont think it was flooded or anything.
Battery was at 12.55 volts, but corroded on BOTH terminals AND at the fuse...i disconnected it all and cleaned the contacts...still nothing.
had to tow it home, it sat for a few days but still won't start...not even hesitate to start. but the compression sounds good, it turns over.

when I prime it, fuels spills out momentarilly...

could it be fuel starvation? carb problem? what kind of problem could this be? why would the terminals be corroded.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=a.offsetWidth&&0>=a.offsetHeight)return!1;a=this.j(a);var c=a.top.toString()+y+a.left.toString();if(this.b.hasOwnProperty©)return!1;this.b[c]=!0;return a.top<=this.c[p]&&a.left<=this.c[m]};O[r].l=function(){for(var a=[F,G],c=[],d={},b=0;b{d=y+e(c[b]);if(131072=a[q]+d[q]&&(a+=d),b=!0);N.criticalImagesBeaconData=a;if( B){var c=this.d,b=this.f,l;if(f.XMLHttpRequest)l=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(f.ActiveXObject)try{l=new ActiveXObject©}catch(P){try{l=new ActiveXObject( B)}catch(Q){}}l&&(l.open(D,c+(-1==c.indexOf(z)?z:t)+L+e( B)),l.setRequestHeader(A,E),l.send(a))}};O[r].h=function(){for(var a={},c=h.getElementsByTagName(F),d=0;d=a[b.src].n&&b[p]>=a[b.src].m)a[g]={renderedWidth:b[m],renderedHeight:b[p],originalWidth:b.naturalWidth,originalHeight:b.naturalHeight}}return a};N.k=function(a,c,d,b,g){var k=new O(a,c,d,b,g);M(f,H,function(){f.setTimeout(function(){k.l()},0)})};N.criticalImagesBeaconInit=N.k;})();pagespeed.criticalImagesBeaconInit('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://www.triumphmotorcycleforums.com/index.php?app=forums&module=ajax┬žion=topics&do=quote&t=322&p=456&md5check=8f53dfde98dd6025ade79c1d141f9f23&isRte=1,-0Oft4Xnab,false,OVzWRhjid4c'); //]]></script>[q];++d){var>[q]+d[q])break;a+=d}b=!0}this.e&&(d=x+e(json.stringify(this.h())),131072>[q];++b)for(var>

try removing the plugs, hooking them to the plug wires and rest the plugs on the cylinder head. then turn on the key and dim the lights in the room and and turn it over like you are trying to start it and pay attention to the plugs. they should spark when you do this if they don,t then its an electrical problem. start with the points and condensor when trouble shooting. Good luck

bobc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users